of Seymour Missouri
Book of Seymour's
History: 1881 to 2006
[NOTE: This file is very large and may take some time to download. ]
Historical Photos of
A new window will open. Close that window to return to this page ]
Seymour was incorporated in 1895. The land
the town was built on was a marsh. The town's square originally had dirt
streets. In 1904 the Seymour area was a leading producer of apples in the
state. A post Civil War house was built by Col. Thomas C. Love north of
town, the farm had one of the largest apple orchards in the state, giving
Seymour its nickname "Land of the Big Red Apple". The Col. Thomas C. Love
House is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1941 Harold Owen opened a theater on the
square, it was open and closed through the years; but currently is open in
the winter time when the still operating Owen Drive-In is closed for the
winter. The Owen Drive-In used to accommodate small plane pilots who could
fly into the theater and watch a movie. Harold Owen still operates the
Drive-In during the summer and fall.
In the early 1960s, U.S. Highway 60 ran
through the middle of town. In Missouri, Highway 60 runs from the Illinois
state line near Charleston, in the boot heel, across the state to the
Oklahoma state line near Neosho, on the Ozarks plateau. At that time,
also, the Frisco railroad ran through town, providing both passenger and
freight service to Seymour, including less-than-car-load service. The
Frisco was absorbed by the Burlington Northern in 1980. The old Frisco
railroad depot has long since been torn down.
the early 1960s, most of the business district was centered around the
public square. There were three major grocery stores in SeymourWhite's,
which was connected with a general store, and owned by Charles White; the
MFA supermarket, which was part of the MFA complex (feed and agriculture,
hardware and groceries); the MFA general manager was Sherman Eddings, and
two of the ladies who worked in the office were Dorothy Herman and Lucille
Brown; and Williams', which was owned by the Williams family, who also had
a variety store. There was a feed mill, Marlin Milling, which was owned by
the Marlin family. Alvin Marlin had been a paratrooper in World War II and
had jumped into Normandy on D-Day. Mr. Pennington owned an Oklahoma Tire
and Supply store. Paul Hunter ran the Western Auto Store. The movie
theater was owned by the Owen family. The local newspaper, the "Webster
County Citizen," was owned and run by Joe Stanard. Miller's cafe was on
the square, as was a pool hall. Ron Durnford owned an oil company and also
a service station, which was on highway 60. An independent auto garage was
owned by Wilson Kale (sp?) and Donnie Fann. Joe Criswell owned and ran the
local dry cleaners, which was a short way out of the main town on BB
The postmaster was Bob Nichols, whose
father owned a local implement company. The Mayor was Benton George, who
owned a tire recapping company. The agent for the Frisco Railroad was
Virgil L. Walker, Jr. He was also a veteran of World War II, having served
with the 104th Infantry Division in France and Germany. The medical doctor
was J.R. Gill, DO. The veterinarian was Louis W. "Doc" Touchen. The
librarian at the local library was Mrs. Erb. The largest church was the
First Baptist Church, whose pastor was Rev. Moore. One of the pastors who
served the Seymour Methodist Church during this time was Rev. August Wilm.
Dean Matney owned and ran the East Side
Barber Shop on the square. George "Speedy" Bolinger owned the sundry store
(soda fountain). Cliff Winslow operated the "Anchor Inn," a small
restaurant located on highway 60 that was owned by George and Beulah
Loveland who owned and operated Loveland Standard Service next to it..
Chuck Carter owned the local propane service.
In the schools, in 1962-63, Walter Hall was
superintendent; William Guthrie, principal; in the high school, Bob
Mahaffey taught vocational agriculture; Floyd Blankenship taught various
science courses; Dean Blankenship taught history; Wayne Barlow taught
industrial arts; Bill Halbrook taught physical education and was the coach
for sports. Elementary school teachers included Claddie Nichols and Bette
City Marshals at various points during the
early 1960s time included Jack Griechen and William "Pistol Bill" Silvey.
Seymour's policeman was Fred Cornelius. Seymour had public utilities.
Oscar Noel was the electric utility man, while Joe Hensley oversaw the
Seymour was the second largest city in
Webster County at that time. It is now the third largest city, having been
surpassed by Rogersville. The largest city was, and still is, Marshfield,
which is the county seat of Webster County.
(History above Courtesy of Wikipedia - May,